Gas Safety Week
There are many reasons to promote Gas Safety Week but our main one for supporting it is to raise awareness of the importance of having an annual boiler service. Think of it like an MOT for your car, or a health screening check up – you wouldn’t risk either, especially… Read More
There are many reasons to promote Gas Safety Week but our main one for supporting it is to raise awareness of the importance of having an annual boiler service. Think of it like an MOT for your car, or a health screening check up – you wouldn’t risk either, especially as if you get caught out on the former you are liable and will likely receive a hefty fine.
Most of us are aware of the dangers of unsafe gas appliances, the most obvious being an oxymoron as it is the least when it comes to detecting its presence – carbon monoxide (CO), if left un-noticed can prove fatal. The NHS reported that there are around 60 deaths a year from accidental CO poisoning in England and Wales and the Gas Safe Register website states that 1 in 4 homes inspected by a registered engineer in the South West had unsafe gas appliances. So what is CO? It is a highly poisonous gas produced by the incomplete burning of any carbon fuel such as natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). This can happen when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked (Gas Safe Register 2021).
If you have not serviced your boiler on an annual basis most product warranties become void, worse still you may also find that your home insurance policy won’t pay out either. Not really worth the risk for a service that costs the equivalent of dinner out for two.
Warning Signs that you should get your gas appliances serviced immediately:
> The gas appliance is not working properly
> There are black marks/stains around the gas appliance
> The flame on the appliance is burning yellow rather than crisp blue
> The pilot light keeps going out
> There is an increase in condensation in the room
Make sure you know the symptoms of CO poisoning:
> Severe headaches
> Collapse and loss of consciousness
Remember to schedule your annual gas safety check – contact us to book yours today!